Image Map

5.08.2013

Day 8: My Advice to You

I went through a job loss last year, so my advice is going to be geared toward those who've recently lost their jobs and are nearing the desperate point to find another. I lost my job in February of last year, after working with the same family for over two and a half years. It was out of the blue. I wasn't expecting it at all, and it was hard.

After my time with that family was over, I start the job hunt immediately with hopes that the perfect family for me would fall into my lap. Instead of keeping my eye on the prize, I became desperate for a new job so I could pay my bills and be financially stable again. I took the first job I was offered. BIG MISTAKE. They wouldn't give me paid vacation time, sick days, or even write up a work agreement. Something that I require to work for someone. I quit after fifteen days.

Then, after a few more months of looking, and babysitting for  a family I know for very cheap, I was offered another job. The family was moving here from New Hampshire. It was what I was looking for. I started working for the in July, but unfortunately their circumstances changed after three months and they no longer needed a nanny. One of their relatives would be moving to CA to live with them and get back on her feet after a rough time. They didn't need me anymore.

That led to two more months of unemployment and several fantastic interviews before I was hired by my current family. They're awesome, and amazing, and we get along really well. I've been working for them since November. I love it and I look forward to going to work everyday!

Advice:
- DON'T waiver in your standards. People told me over and over to switch my job field, but I know I would be miserable if I did so. Not to mention that I would make nearly enough money to pay my bills, nor would I have found the family I work for now!

- DO file for unemployment. For the first four months I was unemployed, I didn't file because everyone made it sound really hard to do. After I was let go in September, I filed immediately.

- DON'T get discouraged. Everyone is looking for someone different. One of these times what the they're looking for will be YOU.

I hope this was helpful to at least a few people! As always I'm linking up with Jenni for Blog Everyday in May. Happy Hump Day!
Photobucket

No comments: