Image Map

10.08.2013

Babywearing: Helpful Hints

I wanted to share some of the things that have helped me along the way in this journey. I really don't know where I'd be without these things. I probably would've tried and failed. I've made some of my closest friends through sites like Twitter and Instagram, *ahem* Emily.

1. Wraps come in sizes. It's best to purchase your first wrap in what is called your Base Size, this wrap should allow you to do pretty much any carry you want. Your base size depends on how big you and your baby are. As an example: I'm 5'3" and 140ish pounds. My base size is a 5. You can find the wrap sizes and explanation here.

2. Join support groups on Facebook. They're the first place I turn to when I have questions about anything babywearing and there is always someone willing help me. I'm in Babywearing 102 and Babywearing Love and Support.

3. If you buy something and it doesn't work for you, don't freak out. Most carriers have a resale value that rivals their MSRP, especially in terms of woven wraps. Most people easily make their money back as long as it's in excellent used condition. Join the Babywearing Swap on Facebook. Buying and selling a lot of carriers is called churning.

4. ALWAYS practice safe babywearing. If someone has a horror story about a baby being in a carrier, chances are they weren't using it correctly and it was user error.

5. YouTube is an amazing resource, like really amazing. My favorite babywearing channels are BabywearingFaith, PAXmommy Jillian, SquishyMommy1 and WrappingRachel. If you need instructions on how to do a certain carry, type in the name in the YouTube search bar. I've never searched for a carry and not found what I was looking for.

6. Join a local babywearing group. They too, are an incredibly useful resource. It's a great way to get one-on-one help from other, more experienced moms if you need it. Most have groups on Facebook and meet regularly, just type "[your city]" and "babywearing" into the search bar. Babywearing is a huge, secret-like world if you know where to look. :)

7. Don't be discouraged if you don't "get" wrapping on the first try. We all have struggled at one point or another. I'd also recommend mastering one carry at a time. You WILL sweat, and you might cry. Keep trying! After a few tries, your muscles will begin to memorize and your baby will anticipate whats about to happen.

I want to do everything I can to help you succeed if you decide to try out babywearing. Are you keeping up? Are you lost? Have questions? Email me! :)
Photobucket
Babywearing Series: The Basics // Types of Carriers // Where to Buy // Favorites // My Go-To Carries

No comments: