Take Notice: An RSV Scare

Wednesday was scary. L had been congested for a few days. As I left for work I received a text asking me to meet my bosses at the doctors, because they'd had to call 911 because L was having trouble breathing. The paramedics came to the house and said he would be fine because he was still feisty- y'all, he's ALWAYS feisty- but to go to the doctors as soon at they opened. As an asthmatic, respiratory problems are nothing new to me.

As soon as the doctor came in she ordered oxygen, like immediately. Queue internal freak out. They ended up administering two breathing treatments, a steroid shot, and had him on oxygen the entire hour we were there. She said that over the hour he'd definitely improved but she didn't want to mess around so she was going to have him transported to the hospital. Queue major external freak out from both me and L's mom. I was already upset before that, but that was the holy shit, this is serious moment.

Before we left for the hospital, my boss told me I didn't have to go, but of course I wanted to and I'm really glad I did. I feel like I asked questions that they wouldn't of thought to ask and have my experience in childcare and my own fair share of hospital trips to thank for asking what I wanted to know immediately.

I have to say that the paramedics that came to transport L did a fantastic job at reassuring all three of us (the adults) that everything was going to be okay, and that this was just a precaution. We ended up spending just under an hour at the doctors and the hospital for just over three hours. They did a chest x-ray and it came back clear.

L was diagnosed with Bronchiolitis, which the doctor at the ER also called "baby bronchitis". It's caused by the virus RSV about 70% of the time. In my four years as a nanny and in my many years around children before that, I'd never had experience with RSV. Here's my PSA- keep an eye on your sick babies and if their breathing is labored in any way, especially in the winter (RSV season), make a same-day doctors appointment. L was only on Day 3 of being sick when this happened. We're very lucky that it wasn't worse and he didn't need to be admitted. We were sent home with an inhaler and chamber, and directions on how often to use it.

We had a follow up with his regular doctor yesterday, and he'll be cleared for activities and contact with other children starting on Monday. He's doing so much better already!

I hope that by me sharing this experience with you, it makes you more aware this fall and winter. That you don't ignore first signs of your sick infant or toddler wheezing. 
Pay attention, be aware, take notice. 

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

So scary! My twins got RSV this past March, when they were 6 months old. We had a tough couple of weeks, that's for sure!