Image Map

11.22.2013

Fitness Friday: It Starts From Within [3]

If you're new around here, welcome to Fitness Friday! My sister hijacks my blog every Friday, and writes about fitness and/or nutrition related subjects. She's a certified personal trainer and fitness enthusiast. You can connect with Kelly via her blog, twitter, or instagram. :)
-----
Happy Friday, guys! Before I get into the fitness and nutrition posts, I wanted to take some time to share a few things with you. I'm going to use this time to talk about how I got started on my own fitness journey, as well as some of the highs (and lows!) I've experienced along the way.

I have been relatively active for most of my life. I got involved with Bobby Sox when I was 8, and continued playing ball through a majority of my high school years. I wasn't doing it for the sake of getting fit, I just wanted to play some good ol' softball. In the beginning of college my schedule was packed with classes and work, and fitness wasn't even a thought. In my mind, I seemed to look "ok".  But I can honestly tell you, that I wasn't happy. I lacked confidence, and I felt so sluggish and just...blah. I was over it.  Also, at that point in my life, I was facing some intense obstacles and I felt like I was losing control.  I desperately needed an outlet, something to fill my time. What I did next, surprised even me, and I had no idea just how much it would positively impact my life.

It was a cold and rainy night in December of 2008 that I joined my first gym. I remember it very well. I wasn't expecting to do that, but looking back on it now I can tell you that it is what kick started my fitness journey, and changed my life completely.  I signed up, and scheduled a free consultation with a trainer, who would later become my biggest supporter and is still a very close friend. 

The first night we met, he asked me why I was there, and what did I want to gain from all of this? Was it a rockin' bod, abs of steel, or maybe even confidence? The hot body and abs are wonderful results of very hard work, but nothing compares to confidence. The more I started to work out, the healthier I felt, the stronger I felt, and I felt more- you guessed it!- confident I became. 

I wish I could say that my journey has been easy, but I refuse to lie to you.  Sometimes I want to throw in the towel and just say "forget it!!" But I won't. Why? Because I have goals and dreams. There is a fire within me that is burning so bright that I cannot ignore. That fire has pushed me to run half marathons, Spartan Races, train for a bikini comp, and just live a healthy life. It is not always easy, but I keep on truckin because I want this.  And that's my point for today.

No matter what your reason is for getting starting on a fit and healthy lifestyle, make sure that you're doing it for the right reasons. Who cares what anyone else thinks! Do you. It's got to start with you.  It's OK to look out for #1. Take pride in the hotness that is YOU, and do something that makes you happy.  Just make me a promise, and hold on to the idea that you can accomplish anything you set out to do, but the drive and motivation, starts from within. 

Have an amazing weekend! 

-K

No comments: