Image Map

9.18.2013

A Post on Tolerance

Today I was an event where I overheard some people discussing a friend of their family's who apparently, a lot of people suspect is gay.  No big deal right? Yeah, apparently it was.

Said persons father claims that he will not have a son who is gay. The people who I heard discussing this matter were being incredibly rude and talking bad about the boys mother, claiming that he was gay because she had raised him.

Is that really the way to talk about someone who has done nothing wrong? It was absolutely appalling and completely inappropriate. They, too, were saying all of this in front of their young daughter. Like really? No wonder this world is full of prejudice and intolerance. Because of people like that, who don't do right by their kids.

Children learn through example. Monkey see, monkey do. Not do as I say, not as I do. It hurts my future mama heart that children have to be raised in negative environments and won't know tolerance and real unconditional love until they're older and see it in other people's lives.

Disclaimer: I don't normally get this expressive on here, but that situation really rubbed me the wrong way and I needed to talk about it. This wasn't written today. It's been sitting it my drafts for a while and I thought I'd finally hit publish. I should probably start noting when I start posts, huh?
Photobucket

2 comments:

Ashley @ Life with Kids said...

I agree. People are entitled to their opinions but it always makes me sad when their children are forced to "believe" a certain way. I work at a private school and deal with similar situations and my heart hurts because I don't think Jesus would act or speak that way. My life verse is Proverbs 17:17 "A friend loves at all times and a brother is born from adversity". Jesus taught us to love so that is what I do.

Kari @ Oh, For The Love Of Stories said...

I don't think you necessarily have to note when you wrote it. A message on tolerance is relevant every single day. It's extremely upsetting that the world can be so intolerant. I'm not naive so I don't think that we are ever going to live in complete harmony, all of us that is. Everyone is entitled to whatever option they choose to have but I do think that how someone else lives none of your business and so it's not your place to make anyone feel badly about who they are or to spew your hate around.
I definitely think that children will pick up behaviors that they see, but at the same time, it's no excuse. I can think of a few things that I would've picked up from my parents, including ideas on this topic, but as I got older, I had to make my own decisions and formulate my own opinions. I think that is what it's going to take eventually - children growing up and saying "I love my mom/dad but that's just not ok."